Server-side tagging is when tags and media pixels are published from the server instead of the browser. Enabling first-party data collection in a cookie less world, server-side tags collect data and store it on their server instead of a DSP or third-party server. Browsers have walled any kind of third-party data collection. All third-party cookies are extinct overnight. This means ad platforms such as Facebook Ads, Google Adwords, Bing Ads, and others can no longer collect customer data for advertisers. So, those advertisers depending on third-party cookies can no longer optimize ads. This could only be altered by adopting a first-party data strategy. For advertisers and publishers, a first-party data strategy is possible with server-side tags. Server-side tags are secure HTTP response tags. Server-side tagging involves running these tags through a first-party server or back-end environment.
Server-side tagging and its benefits are perceived differently by various teams involved in data management.
- Marketers use Server-side tagging for clear Marketing Attribution
- Data teams use Server-side tag management infrastructure for Deeper Analytics & Customizable Dashboards
- Legal and compliance teams depend on a server-side tag management interface
- Server-side tagging with Magic Pixel
An introduction to Server-side tagging
Server-side tagging enabled the collection of first-party data in a cookieless world. For marketing and data teams, this proved to be a more transparent approach. It also provides more control in collecting the specific type of customer data they were looking for.
Marketers use Server-side tagging for clear Marketing Attribution
In the cookie-less world, marketers have suffered from the absence of attribution. Server-side tags collect all the tags necessary to attribute campaigns and any of the marketing channels use to collect any form of first-party data. Marketers user server-side tagging for:
- Multi-touch attribution
- Last-touch attribution
- Campaign attribution
- Channel attribution
- Cookie less data collection
Gaining more control over data attribution has empowered marketers to reinstate some of the most critical optimization techniques such as:
- Website conversion optimization
- Affiliate marketing
- Influencer marketing
- Remarketing or retargeting
- A/B Testing
- Customer segmentation with profile enrichment
Data teams use Server-side tag management infrastructure for Deeper Analytics & Customizable Dashboards
Magic Pixel provides the possibility of integrating several server-side interfaces such as the GTM, Facebook ads, etc onto a single dashboard. The interface provides transparency to both Data and marketing teams. It includes:
- Do-it-yourself interface for reporting customizations
- Out-of-the-box (OTB) integration to mobile apps with media pixels.
- Ad serving and bid management
- Managing rich media, demand-side platforms, CRM, and
- Ad modeling.
- Incremental client-server tag transfers
Legal and compliance teams depend on a server-side tag management interface
Automating data privacy, user consent, and preference management, and content security is a huge time-saving process for legal teams. Some of the solutions include:
- ePrivacy and consent management
- First-party context with HTTP endpoints
- Managing third-party vendors through abilities to whitelist and blacklist
On the other hand, client-side tagging tracks requests directly from the client-side (or browser) to third-party servers. This is a more preferred and secure way of firing tags and tracking data. With this, the data runs through your own server before you send it to an external receiver like Google Analytics, Facebook, or Bing.
Server-side tagging with Magic Pixel
- Client side and server side media tagging all in one place
- Collect your own first party data without having to depend on multiple third party services
- Stream all media analytics data back to your own Customer Data Platform (CDP)
- Monitor and analyze the media tags firing across your website
- Easy privacy compliance implementation (CCPA / GDPR / PIPEDA etc) – Get a report of whats being blocked and easily quantify the impact on your media campaigns
- Integrates with all major privacy management/compliance frameworks (OneTrust, WireWheel etc)
Server-side tagging is a process of implementing tags and media pixels from the advertiser’s or the brand’s own first-party server that sits in a safe and secure back-end environment.